Make your own Plug Knocker

Bassprochuck
Administrator
  Out on the lake and casting your new Moonshine Mirrabalure that you have to mail order from some guy in Alaska that costs 10.99 plus three dollars in shipping? Catching the biggest and most Bass you've ever caught in your life with it? Then it happens...Snag! It won't come loose either and you only bought one. Now what? Strip down and dive in, eh? Well unless your nickname happens to be Gatorbait or your last name Dundee then you probably would rather not do that if you didn't have to. What you need is a lure retriever or a lure knocker as they are often called.There are lots of different types available to be bought and although they are often pricey they will pay for themselves pretty quickly most of the time. As is often the case some do work better than others. I won't get into my opinions here cause everybody's got one. What I will do is give you some ideas of how to make your own.
       One of the earliest I ever saw was also one of the simplest. My Grandpa used an old spark plug with a couple of foot long pieces of dog chain he had wired to the plug. He had this attached to about 50 ft of heavy twine. Just above the plug he had placed a large saltwater snap swivel. He would snap the swivel around his line, let the plug slide down to the lure,jiggle it around a bit until he hung the chain in the plugs hooks,then yank hard once and bring the whole thing back up. Worked like a charm every time I saw him use it. You can make a more modern one with a chain link or a carabiner you can get at the hardware store or flea market for about a buck. Add 3 or 4 8 to 12 inch long pieces of dog chain or smaller chain that will fit onto the carabiner or link and attach this to a heavy gauge line. Some people use a couple of large treble hooks instead of/or with the chain. Snap that around your line and do like Grandpa did and it'll save you a lot of change for about 2 bucks or so and a half hours work. The picture above is one I just put together to give you the general idea. I would use a little bit longer chains on a working model. Note: A chain link (the kind that screws together) is a bit more heavy duty than a carabiner and will last longer but the threads do corrode after a bit. Your choice!